Wednesday, May 30, 2007

where are the birds

In 1988 I began to notice the birds were diminishing around my place in Medway. I wrote this poem about it:

Where are the Birds?

What has happened to the sparrows? Oh yes, there are still a few around. I could say at this time of year, spring, that they have all gone into the woods, where it is peaceful and there is plenty of pickings with buds and berries, BUT where were they when the ice covered the tree buds and the goodies, such as they were, on the ground? You would think the sparrows would flock to this yaard where Tommy puts out all kinds of seed, and makes sure the supply is replenished daily. But no, the sparrows, I'm afraid, are thinning out! But we do have other birds around.

First I shall mention our guests uninvited -- the pigeons who leaves our patio blighted; the doves who walk on my car, like the cat, and leave prints on my windshield that I never get at. And now with the big ones, there's always the crow -- but lately he's gone and why, I don't know. And speaking of blackbirds, there are some and then some: We like to see grackles, but then starlings come; and the catbird, the bluebird --? (I'm drifting away) the cowbird (a brown head), I saw
Nuthatches; finches, both purple and gold; that bluejay! We watch her, so wicked and bold; the cardinal is one to be seen and be heard, and we all love the siskin, a sparrow-like bird. But my favorite of all, on the tree or the ground -- the cute, little chickadee, always around. Did I mention the redwings who come when they can; woodpeckers (redheaded, downy, hairy) in Jan (??). Now, springtime, a few have flown up and away, there's a robin -- whose lonesome -- what more can I say?