Sunday, May 27, 2007

Chance

When Tommy's dog died, Lily and I were glad. He moved across the floors of the house, dragging his two paralyzed hind legs. It was pitiful to watch. He was a dog that Tommy had bought after our family dog, Buddy, had died of old age. Neither Lily nor I cared much for this new one. I forget his name, but then, I don't think he was too fond of us, either. Anyway, it was a blessing for us when he did die. But Tommy missed him. One day, Tommy decided to go to the kennels and pick out a new dog. He took a little neighbor girl with him. Jeannette was always with Tommy anyway -- he taught her how to paddle a canoe, how to identify trees, by the bark, the leaves; he made her aware of birds by their songs, the names of flowers, shrubs. He taught her how to climb trees by rope and to repel, and they would look at books together outside, or in the "bungalow" on rainy days, feeding biscuits to the dog.

At the kennel, Tommy and Jeanette looked for a new dog. Jeanette fell in love with a big black dog, while Tommy was busy looking for a small dog. And they pondered, and pondered, and pondered. Jeanette said, "this is my dog," Tommy said, "I don't think Lily would.. but if you took him--" and Jeanette said, "I don't think my mother would.. but if you took him--" And they both smiled, said together, "Let's take a chance."

And there they go -- the three of them, in the canoe, Tommy, Jeanette and Chance. I never saw such a happy threesome! Jeanette cared for Chance, fed him, took him home with her. He got to know the old dog, Nicky, made friends with Jeanette's mother. Lily and I got to know Chance. And everybody was happy.