Sunday, May 20, 2007

horse and wagon

Walking along the sidewalk, in an older section of S.Carolina, Carol and I are looking at the mansions, many rooms to accommodate large families and servants (probably slaves then?), large and ostensious porches, brick steps and walkways, gardens we stop to study and sniff, to touch the ornate fences and walls. Now, we see a wagon in front of us, filled with tourists, pulled by two large, lazy horses. Oh well, they have to go so slow -- and the day is so beautiful -- why shouldn't they be lazy? And they clap, clap, clap along the road. And Carol asks, are you with me? She notices the blankness on my face and the lackadaisical reponses to her questions, and says, "you must be tired."

No, not tired. I was somewhere in the West, crossing a prairie in a covered wagon, the horses, were not really clap, clap, clapping, but slap, slap, slapping and the wagon was covered. Two people riding in the front of the wagon, several walking alongside, and they were singing --psalms, I think. And then the rains came down. A lot of scrambling and shouting, and the horses were excited, and a wheel suddenly broke, and there was havoc and I gasped!

You're really tired, Carol said. And I'm sure I looked at her blankly and said, "I'm okay."