Tuesday, May 15, 2007

it seems to me

that doctors, dentists, electricians, plumbers and who have you, tend to believe that their time, and only theirs, is precious. Maybe there should be a different approach:

Say, the doctor's office: Tell the "girl" that you would like to see the doctor at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 8, or if that is not convenient, then at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, October 9th and that he can call back to confirm the date and time.

Or, the dentist: I need to see you very soon -- how about Friday or Saturday of this week? You can't? Well, that's okay, I'll call someone else. Oh, you can! Oh great -- jot the date down, and I'll see you then.

The plumber: My kitchen sink is leaking, I can't live with this -- can you fix it for me? Oh, that's too far away. How about this afternoon, or tomorrow morning? Oh you can't -- no, never mind. I'm sure I can

The painter: My dining room is all ready for a new paint job. All it needs is a painter and the paint. I have samples of paint that you can look at -- when can you come? Oh I wasn't planning to wait that long. Oh, you have people who work for you? Okay, when can they come? You need how much notice? Well, never mind.get someone else.

Or the furniture store: I was in your store yesterday and I told you I would call today. after I took some measurements at home. Oh, it was the blue leather one, right near the large window... oh, yes I have the details you gave me right here. I'll read them to you. Oh, great! Yes, I can pay for it on delivery -- when will that be? I really don't want to wait that long-- Can't you make it by the end of next week? You can't -- well never mind. No I don't want the sofa. Thank you anyway.