Sunday, June 3, 2007

Ruth

Ruth was a beautiful woman. Skinny, but with the most beautiful skin I ever saw, smooth and white, round dark brown eyes, beautiful teeth. Jimmy was small, played the violin, had a great big smile. He was special, and he now had a beautiful wife and three small children. When they walked up to visit us, Jimmy was always outside with my father and Ruth, with the children, would come in and sit in the kitchen with my mother and the rest of us.

The oldest son, Allan, was frail with bowed legs -- which my sister Mabel, a nurse, called "rickets." Ruth would have no part of "rickets" for her first-born, Allan. She argued consistently with Mabel, "He doesn't have rickets" she would say. I listened to this argument over and over again. It disturbed me. I asked Mabel about "rickets" and she would say, "He needs to be in a hospital -- his legs can be fixed -- it's a bone disease -- it has to be attended to early. I then began to wonder about Ruth. Why didn't she listen to Mabel? Allan was one of my favorite nephews, when my brother, Eddie moved away, with "Little Jimmy" and Donald. And I wanted Allan's legs to be straight, normal. He was such a cute little guy, big brown sad eyes. I used to read to him when I could. But most of the time, the three little ones clung to their mother's knees wailing, and she would say, "oh she wants her bottle and I told her she's too old for that," or "he wanted to go to his other grandmother's house," or "he wants to go down to see the river. -- don't pay any attention to them." But of course we did pay attention -- how could we not?

All conversation of course was out of the question becauses of the screaming and bellowing of the children, and the angry mother. Stopping to appease did not help because usually it meant a kick with a small but sharp foot --sharp because of the angle of the child's foot as it landed on your leg or stomach. Or, if not a kick, a bite, with sharp little first teeth. Then, a piercing scream when Ruth herself bit back. I can see now her slender white fingers with the diamond that Jimmy had given her, although I don't know how he could have afforded it, holding the child tight to keep him still.

I loved that little boy, Allan, even when he bit me.