Saturday, June 9, 2007

on the beach this morning

It was just what I needed -- a nice walk on the beach with Mike and Carol. The sun was hitting my back, although it was quite early. Not many people here yet. The pelicans put on a show of their own, diving into the waves, not quite sure what to do with their feet, but moving very fast, grabbing a fish then up and away. It was an interesting few minutes (seconds?) they took to establish themselves and stay put, wings flapping, beaks seamingly heavy but up and down and very fast.

I was distracted by a find of Carol's just then -- a crab, just up and out of the sand in one of the small "puddles" made by the incoming tide. The crab was a little annoyed, I thought, as he moved his large appendage in a thrusting sort of way, opening his mouth to show small claws (teeth?)

Anyway, I've a lot to learn yet (and I'm only 89). Anyway, watching the pelicans and looking to see where Carol was, I found myself in deeper water than I had planned on, and one more step landed me face down in the Atlantic ocean! Wow! The water was warm and a kindly hand extended by a large man there, helped me get to my feet and establish just where I was, then Carol, and I was back to stable footing near Mike.

We walked then a bit further, my clothes soaking wet but loose and already drying in the sun, we looked again at the crab, and Carol then spotted a sand bubble and said, "look, there's another one." She maneuvered the sand a bit with her fingers and then started digging. There it is! Another one and this time I really did see the popping eyes. Then a large threatening claw moved out and upward, and bubbles started to ooze from his mouth. Then I saw the litle claw-teeth (?).

This crab really did seem very aggressive, his large claw thrashed about and Carol was brave enough to flip him over a bit where we could see the underside, with all the little moving appendages. I could have stayed there all day, bending over them -- or maybe not. But never have I ever seen such defensiveness -- So crabby. And that little thing that we had disturbed went right back, down deep into the sand, while we headed for home.