Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Mocking Bird

Wait! I'm not ready yet. But the mocking bird sings, and the light persists. My eyes refuse to open and the sun beckons to me. I stretch, try to cooperate with the sun. Put my two hands on the side of the bed -- Carol puts my hearing aid in and the mocking bird gets louder. I lift my body, forward. I can do it, I thought. I fix my eyes on the sides of the bathroom door, where each hand will go has to be determined. I lift up off the bed.

Here goes. Now, yes I'm awake. What a beautiful day, sun shining, birds singing, and especially the mocking bird who sits on the corner of the roof outside my bedroom window. I don't know who she's mocking this morning but it's wierd. Maybe she's mixed up, can't get the sound just right that she wants to mimic. I take another look out the window -- she's gone now. The marsh is low. Don't know when the tide is due to come up and spill into the marsh, and bring the herons and ibis, maybe pelicans, and me to the window or to the porch with binoculars,. Then to my bird log to write up the specifics. What's today, I ask. The response isn't enough. I know it's Thursday, June something - 4? Is it going to be a warm day? Who knows, you say. Who can predict the future?

So I settle back. Right! Brace yourself, come what may. Write.