Thursday, June 7, 2007

caterpillar

The sky is dull, nondescript? No, there's the sun. It's behind me this morning. Just as I turned my head it hit me -- right in the eye. It's going to be a sunny day and I guess this tiime of year, that means hot. That's okay. We get through the hot days, especially those of us who don't have to be on the roof, or in a caterpillar somewhere. Caterpillar. What a nice name, better than John Deere. I always loved caterpillars anyway. I wasn't a little boy, ever, but I loved to watch these big machines with shovels move large chunks of marble or rocks, or telephone poles, when my sister used to take us in her Ford coupe to Milford or Framingham, or somewhere else. Especially liked the little furry gold and black caterpillar that was on the grass under an apple tree, or the one I was watching slowly making its way along one of my father's planks laying across a steamy hot mortar bed, which I was quickly pulled away from. Later on there were more and I could watch them. They didn't try to avoid me, like the worms did. When I spotted a worm, the minute I turned my head he was gone back into the ground. Sometimes when my father, or brother Joe fished, they would let me pick them up one by one and drop them into a pail or tin can. I thought they were collecting them for me but I learned about fishing, saw the fishing poles and watched while they maneuvered the wriggling worm onto a hook -- oh, that I didn't like so much but learned to accept it, I felt it though and wondered if it hurt. They let me hold a worm in my hand. I wasn't too comfortable about it. I wanted to hold a caterpillar but I don't think I ever got that chance.