Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Squirrel

Always there, when I look out over the kitchen sink in the morning, hanging there upside down on the small birdfeeder, swinging as she eats the thistlefeed put out there for the finches. When she hears me, she scampers over and up on the "Bungalow" roof where she sits and watches the window. She knows I'm there, and that the window will open soon.

I walk away. When I return, there she is. This time, on the ground feeding on the suet cage that was hanging on the same line, for the woodpeckers. I slide the sink hose out the window, already open just enough, and squirt -- she's up and on the roof before the water even hits her.

Out the back door, now, I pick up the suet cage and hang it unskilfully on the line ranging across from the Bungalow to the House. The line is high and I am short, so I really have to work at it so I get it back on the line somehow or other and go back into the house. I have work to do, squirrel -- stay off the feeder.