Sunday, April 29, 2007

ducks

The ducks on the river are small and brown -- about 18 of them -- I counted them.

Sh! What a sight! Oh, there's a larger one, a mallard with his green collar -- and a very large white duck slightly further down. They are very quiet. Some of them are double ducks, mirrored in the smooth water, and all except probably one, can easily be captured in one click of my camera.

The sun is in the West -- just perfect! I move easily toward the river, behind bushes, careful not to let them see or hear me. Okay, now I lift my camera showly and peak out around the bushes. At once, a disturbing fluttering of wings -- they are disturbed. Up and away they go -- I snap, quickly.

Now I feel bad at having spoiled their Sunday. I hope they'll come back. The white one is still there, looking back over her back, and probably at me.