Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday night supper

It was Sunday night I loved, probably because the Reardons were coming, particularly my uncle Bill, who taught me to tap dance, but also my cousin Bill, who sometimes brought his trumpet. Oh, those were the noisy times. Somebody was always at the piano in my house anyway, and it didn't take much to get Tommy going on the mandolin, and then, the singing. Sometimes my cousin Reg and Bob came, but they were very quiet. Hardly spoke. And my aunt Carrie, who sat there prim and tolerant. My mother would retire to the kitchen. Well, somebody had to think of supper. And as the violin was picked up, my sister Lily went to join my mother in the kitchen. How many? I had to know because I was pulled away from the happy hour to set the table for eight? ten? Of course, besides ourselves and the Reardons, there was usually Stanley and Frances, long-time friends who very often showed up on Sunday nights. And my mother and Lily came up with something.