Sunday, March 25, 2007

so many gulls

The traffic was tremendous. I tired watching. Nothing was going on there. A dull evening for the gulls and I tired of viewing them. I counted 32, and just as I decided that was enough, wow, that's not a gull -- his neck is too long. Ibis. He must have heard me. He flew a short distance and landed in a private spot with a wooden walkway -- bridge. There he was, comfortable, and I watched and watched. Why doesn't he do something? My eyes were tired but I didn't want to miss anything, thought maybe another ibis might join him there. I put down the binoculars and when I picked them up again, he was gone. I searched and searched the marsh, saw a boat-tailed grackle off taking a bath at the edge of the marsh. He seemed to be there at long time, then hopped into the grass, shook his feathers for an inordinate amount of time. I waited, wanted to make sure he was what I thought he was. Christmas, he's back in the water. My eyes are tired now, but I have to see about that ibis. I picked up the bird book -- uh oh, it was a snowy egret, not an ibis at all.