Thursday, March 15, 2007

hello again

Miss Medway and all you guys -- I live in a beautiful house, with a great view of the marsh; it's a friendly and beautiful state, South Carolina.

I'm fascinated by the variety of birdlife here, especially on the marsh. I watch them up close from the house or porch. One morning a pair of hooded mergansers were playing in the marsh channel, right close to the house, and a tricolored heron and a little blue heron, very close to them, walked along the water's edge.

Yesterday and the day before Carol and I walked along the water's edge at Folly Beach (the Atlantic) with the waves lapping at our feet. Carol was barefooted but I had to do some jumping to keep my sneakers dry. We walked a good distance, the whole length of the beach, with a pair of ruddy turnstones running with their spindly legs in the water, right in front of us -- all the way!

And as we walked, a variety of gulls were around us, not shy at all. This was an amazing thing for me -- such a variety of them. And I used to think "a gull is a gull is a gull."

I walk a lot with Carol and yesterday I went shopping with Mike -- just walking through these large stores -- Wal-Mart, Costco -- is a walk! This morning a long walk on road with Mike after breakfast.